Search This Blog

Sunday, October 1, 2017

A Bit About Dreams and A Free Short Story


I want to talk about dreams for a little bit.  I'm not talking about aspirations, but actual dreams you have while sleeping.  I have a pretty active dream life, however most of it is pretty mundane.  I'll dream about work or being in some situation I'm not prepared for, just the same as anyone else. However there are three instances where my dreams have been so weird, they've stuck with me for years. 

The first was when I was fourteen years old.  I had a vivid dream of being chased through my house by a man with a shotgun.  That house was not big by any stretch of the imagination so it wasn't like I could run and hide very many places.  I remember I was trying to run from the hallway to the front door so I could get outside and the guy with the gun was hiding in the kitchen.  As I emerged from the mouth of the hallway into the living room, he swung around into the opening from the kitchen and shot me dead in the chest.  The next thing I remember is looking at my body laying dead on the floor and thinking to myself, "Well, I guess that's it then."

And I woke up. I'd always heard that if you died in your dream, then you'd die for real but it seems that was not the case. Thus one urban myth was completely debunked for me.

The second vivid dream memory is actually a series of dreams and they continue to this day.  I tend to have them about once or twice a year and I absolutely love them.  The weird thing is, they're a continuing narrative, but otherwise they're pretty mundane.  They all take place in a high end outdoor mall nestled in the mountains.  It seems to be in either Tennessee/North Carolina or in Oregon/Washington.  I'm there with my wife, daughter, brother, sister and their families.  There's a really cool putt-putt golf course that runs through the middle of the mall and in one "episode" there were go-karts racing as well.  The shops are all high fashion boutiques, nice restaurants, etc.  Since I'm with my family (who are some of my favorite people in the world), it feels fantastic!  I always wake up from those dreams missing my brother and sister quite a bit.  Then a few months or so later, I'll have another dream and it will pick up right at or near the point where the last one ended.  It's a pretty strange phenomenon but it's also very welcome.

Which brings me to the third dream.  This one was a rough one and it's the subject of the story you can download below.  This came to me in its entirety while asleep.  When I woke up, I felt absolutely devastated and immediately went to my computer and started typing.  Hopefully it captures the horror and emotion I felt that morning.  If not, then at least I hope it gives you a little bit of a creepy feeling.

Follow the link below to download it for free in the format of your choice.

HOWEVER, I ask one favor from you.  Once you've finished reading, please go back to Smashwords and leave a review.  Be honest.  If it worked for you, let me know.  If it didn't I want to know that also.  I look forward to your feedback.  

And without further delay, here you go.  Enjoy!


DOWNLOAD "A DEBT TO THE DEAD" BY CARY CHRISTOPHER

No comments: