Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Finding Inspiration in Strange Places

As I mentioned when I restarted this blog a couple of weeks ago, I've got a book coming out very soon.  The ebook version should be out next week and the physical copy is running a little behind but should be available by the end of the month.

A handful of people who read this blog have read an early version of that book.  It's gone through a ton of changes since that early draft but the one thing that didn't change was the short story that started it all.  

See, I never sat down and thought, "I'm going to write a novel." 

Actually, I sat down and said, "I'm going to write a short story."  

That short story got to about 10,000 words and then I said, "I think I may have underestimated things a bit."

I tend to believe that I picked up that underestimating trait from my stepfather whose gauge for how long things will take may possibly be the worst in history.  He's notorious for saying something will take an hour or two and the next thing you know your entire day is shot.  The most famous example of this within our family is the time he pulled my brother and I aside about four in the afternoon on a Saturday and said, "Hey, come help me put this mountain stone up on the side of the house." 

I had a date that night and needed to leave by six.  My brother had plans also. We both told him that it was pointless to get started because there wasn't enough time before we'd have to leave.  He insisted that it was going to be "easy" and we'd have it done in no time.

We may have gotten four pieces of stone up before we abandoned him.  Despite showering, I went to pick up my date with pieces of concrete stuck under my fingernails.  My brother's revenge was that he wore a pair of my stepfather's shoes while helping so they got concrete all over them and were ruined.   

What you really need to know though is that mountain stone job took six months to complete. Now granted, some of that was due to my brother and I quickly leaving as soon as we saw my stepdad showing any signs of motivation about working on that again.  Still though, it wasn't a job that was going to be completed in a couple of hours.

What does this have to do with inspiration?  Well, nothing actually.  See, I got sidetracked by talking about poor time management instead.  I suppose there's a lesson to be learned somewhere in all this but don't plan on me learning it anytime soon.

Next time I'll tell you a little about where the original idea for The Wash came from and hopefully point you to where you can get a copy.  Until then, have a great weekend! 

1 comment:

Lisanne Harrington said...

As a fellow writer, I totally get OOOH! SHINY THINGS!